Saturday, April 11, 2009

My First Blog

Hi All,

This is my first blog. I was thinking about creating a php script that I can host on my own server that will have a form that I can fill out and it will create an HTML page for it. My plan was to create a collection of 'How To...' guides that I, or someone else, can use later on. Then I realized that I can actually just sign up for a blog and do this here. So now here I am with a blog.

My goal for this site is to summarize things that I learned and put them all in an easy to read format for me to review and relearn later on in case I ever forget. For example, I have learned about ten or maybe more programming languages in my life so far and if I was asked to write a program in one of those languages, I would need to have a refresher course in it first. Right now I am fluent in Perl and TCL scripting, but that's only because I've been writing a lot of scripts in those languages for the past few months.

Here is a list of the programming/scripting languages that I've learned and when I was fluent in them:

HTML - Middle school, made my own webpages for fun
Turing - Grade 9 Tech Class, first programming language I learned
BASIC - Grade 12 Tech Class
Visual BASIC - Grade 12 Tech Class
JAVA - First year university, took a course about this
C++ - Second year university, wrote a HTML web sever
C - Second year university, programs to control LEGO pieces
Assembly - Second year university, controlled a micro processor
Verilog - Second year university, not a programming language
Kernal Programming Language (KPL) - Third year university, wrote an operating systems for a course
TCL - Internship, various scripts for synthesis
Perl - Internship, various scripts to reduce manual work
Python - Internship, just tried it out, never made any scripts to be used often
PHP - Internship, a webpage cataloging my results

I think I know some more languages, but I can't even remember them right now. MATLAB comes to mind, but is that really a language? I completely forgot how to use MATLAB and I will probably be relying heavily on that to solve some difficult math problems in my fourth year. 

I find programming and writing scripts simple. Although that's not the field I'm going into. The field that I'm choosing to go into is a lot more difficult to me. Maybe I should just stick to what I'm good at. I guess I will have to reconsider what I'm deciding to do.

Well now that I have a blog, hopefully I will keep up with it and continue to post.

- DreOn

No comments:

Post a Comment